CCLE Moodle 3.4 Upgrade Launched on June 19, 2018
The CCLE Home Team has been working the past six months to meet our June 19th deadline to upgrade to Moodle 3.4. Since we use the open source course management system Moodle platform to deliver online courses for UCLA’s undergraduate courses and collaboration sites, we must have a model of continuous improvement to meet the needs and expectations of our students, faculty, staff and researchers.
- CCLE home page redesign
- Collapsible course menu navigation
- Add sections from the navigation menu
- Drop and drag items to rearrange content
- Set a Remind me to grade by a specific date
- Participants page redesign, add a new role easily and save
- My sites view separates Class and Collaboration tabs
- Improved Turn editing on functionality
- Edit settings in an Activity of Resource
- Admin panel combines Control Panel + previous Course administration block
You may be interested in knowing some stats about CCLE and our recent upgrade:
- Before CCLE there were 22 various CMS solutions on campus, now there are only a few: CCLE Home and Social Sciences Computing share a common code base on their respective servers. Think of these two systems as identical twins with slightly different hairstyles. Check out links below to see for yourself.
- CCLE Home Shared System link https://ccle.ucla.edu
- SSC Shared System link https://moodle2.sscnet.ucla.edu
- Some interesting data points about the Moodle 3.4 upgrade:
- 17 developers from SSC, CDH, Chemistry and CCLE Home
- 93,176 line changes in the code from previous version of Moodle 3.1
- 319 tickets created related to the upgrade and 252 tickets closed (complete)
- 210 hours of meetings discussing the upgrade (Support, Scrum, Backlog grooming and Product Owners meetings)
CCLE has come a long way since 2007 (pilot year). CCLE Home Team grew from an FTE of 3 (2009) to 6 (2015). The changes become really apparent when you compare today’s Moodle 3.4 version with the earlier Moodle 2.0 user interface in 2012.
- CCLE Moodle 2.0 video (2012)
- CCLE Moodle 3.4 video (2018)
More about CCLE:
- Learn about the expanding reach of CCLE by watching “CCLE is the Whole University.”
- Learn about the recent upgrade by watching “What’s New in Moodle 3.4.”
As you might expect with a popular and extensively used system, upgrades are always on the horizon. In fact, we are already planning for the next Moodle 3.5 upgrade (scheduled in 2019).
CCLE encourages all campus system users to tell us what you think! Email us with your feedback: Amber Stokes, CCLE Support Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org